Niacinamide: what is it and what are its benefits for your skin?
Niacinamide is increasingly popular in skincare as this active ingredient has both anti-ageing and antioxidant properties. It helps your cells to regenerate and supports a healthy skin barrier, which is essential to keep it hydrated and prevent inflammation, acne, redness, liver spots and premature ageing. Read on, and we’ll tell you all about this powerful ingredient and how you can incorporate it into your own skincare routine.
What is niacinamide?
Niacinamide, also known as nicotinamide, is a type of vitamin B3 which contributes to the synthesis of proteins. Therefore, it works to improve your skin's metabolism and support its regeneration1.
In this article, we're looking at the benefits resulting from topical use across a wide variety of products. Niacinamide's small molecules can penetrate the deepest layers of your skin, helping it to regenerate from within. This ingredient is also incredibly versatile and well tolerated by most people.
What does niacinamide do?
This popular ingredient is used both to prevent and combat certain skin conditions.
Niacinamide helps to repair your DNA, which prevents ageing, oxidation and cell death, and slows the formation of liver spots. It also works to strengthen your skin's barrier, which helps protect it from external factors such as pollution and free radicals. These elements damage your skin and can cause premature ageing. Niacminamide also helps your skin to retain water, which is key for cellular hydration and the prevention of lines and wrinkles.
Niacinamide benefits for your skin
This active offers fantastic absorption when used topically, and the following benefits have been attributed to its use:2,3
- It hydrates the skin: It stimulates the production of ceramides and fatty acids, repairs the skin barrier and reduces transepidermal water loss.
- It is calming and reduces redness: It reduces skin irritation and redness, so it's great for sensitive skin types including skin with rosacea, atopic dermatitis (eczema) or skin which is prone to itching and reactions after the use of certain products.
- It works against acne and regulates sebum: It helps to regulate sebum production which, in turn, helps to control oily skin. Topical use has also been shown to treat mild acne as effectively as clindamycin, a commonly used antibiotic4.
- It helps with skin spots and hyperpigmentation: Niacminamide illuminates and unifies the tone of your skin and combats dark spots. Combining niacinamide with other treatments to reduce pigmentation can increase its potency and effectiveness5.
- It has anti-ageing properties: By stimulating elastin and collagen production, it helps to diminish signs of ageing such as wrinkles.
- It has antioxidant properties: It protects the skin from free radicals found in polluted environments and helps to repair sun damage.
How to use niacinamide as part of your routine
Here at mesoestetic®, we offer a wide range of quality cosmetic products containing niacinamide which are perfect for your own beauty routine.
Treating dark spots on the skin
If you're worried about your hyperpigmentation, we recommend melan tran3x concentrate, a concentrated lightening serum with intense action which also contains tranexamic acid, strengthening its anti-dark spot action and visibly improving even the darkest spots on the face. Its effects can be further enhanced by combining it with the melan tran3x gel cream.
On the other hand, if you're concerned about localised hyperpigmentation on the external intimate areas, inner thighs or the bikini line, the dermamelan® intimate gel cream is an effective option.
Combining niacinamide with other lightening treatments can increase its potency and effectiveness5.
cosmelan® is our professional lightening method which works to completely remove even the most resistant liver spots. Our other product, dermamelan®, is a medical lightening method which works like no other, with two patents which combine to effectively and progressively eliminate skin spots.
Discover your nearest treatment centre and consult a professional.
Treating the signs of ageing
In you're looking for anti-ageing effects, we suggest the age element® brightening cream. This product's antioxidant action slows premature ageing, revitalises skin and fosters hydrated and uniform skin. We recommend using our age element® brightening concentrate, a concentrated serum with antioxidant action and an illuminating effect which unifies skin colour, before this treatment.
To treat skin irritation
For those occasions where your skin feels irritated, red or taut, melan recovery is the product for you. This calming cream reduces sensitivity and restores balance to your skin after external abrasion (sun exposure, waxing, shaving or friction) or treatments (peels, laser treatment, etc.).
We hope that this article has helped you to understand niacinamide, one of the most popular and versatile actives when it comes to caring for your skin. Try it and see the benefits for yourself!
locate your reference centre
Where can I obtain information or undergo the treatment?